Resources / Links
River Springs Charter School strives to provide enrichment opportunities for all of our students. There are some which would be excellent choices for gifted and highly capable students to showcase their abilities. Click here for details.
Here in California, there are also large summer programs that have been in existence for many years. Most have early registration windows and deadlines so contact them ASAP:
- Academic Decathlon - team competition wherein students match their intellects with students from other schools
- Summer Institute for the Gifted, an academic summer experience for talented youth at Vassar College, Drew University, Bryn Mawr College, Amherst College, Denison University, and George School
- John Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth - The program identifies top academic students in grades two through eight and opportunities for participation in challenging educational programs through their tenth grade year.
- Academic Talent Search, CSU, Sacramento or call 916.278.7032
- Foothill College Summer Youth College or call 650.949.7638
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development - Supports profoundly gifted young people and opportunities for development of talents.
- Univ. of California, Berkeley Academic Talent Development Program (ATDP) or call 510.642.8308
- Univ. of California, Irvine Academic Talent Search and Pre-college Gifted Student Academy, or call 949.824.5822
- The National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) posts summer programs, enrichment programs and special schools on its web site. This resource is updated regularly and provides valuable information for teachers and parents.
- California Science Center - Year-round science classes and one-week sessions during summer break.
- Challenger Center - Space mission simulations for middle school and high school.
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development - a national nonprofit serving America's gifted children
- Odyssey of the Mind - An international educational program that provides creative problem-solving opportunities for students from kindergarten through college involving regional, state, and international competitions
Links for Students
- Kidstuff - resources and activities just for kids
- Kids Clubhouse - a great place to go for fun stuff and brain teasers!
- Ask Jeeves - If you've got a question, Jeeves has got the answer!
- Brainbinders - lots of puzzles, and all you need is a sheet of paper and a brain!
- Aims - you can get a new puzzle each month, and answers, too!
- Time and Date - make calendars, find out when you'll be 20,000 days old, and other fun
stuff with times and dates
Gifted Education Organizations
- Hollingworth Center for Highly Gifted Children - Founded by Kathi Kearney, the Hollingworth center is a resource for parents and teachers of highly gifted children
- Gifted Development Center - Founded by Dr. Linda Silverman, her vision and advocacy for gifted individuals have influenced legislators, parents, educators, administrators, and the like, to consider and institute positive changes for the sake of our nation's brightest and most capable children.
- American Association for Gifted Children - Duke University organization and resources related to gifted education and students.
- The Association for the Gifted (TAG) A division of the Council for Exceptional Children. Promotes scholarly research, advocacy, and professional development.
- Belin-Blank International Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development - Sponsored by the University of Iowa. Conducts talent search and educational programs for gifted students.
- California Association for the Gifted (CAG) - A non-profit organization of teachers, administrators, parents, and professionals interested in promoting gifted education in California.
- College Admissions Services
Resources and information about college admissions including financial aid, scholarships, studying for the SAT, writing application essays, and the college admissions process.
- The Council For Exceptional Children - is the largest international professional organization dedicated to improving educational outcomes for exceptional children
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
A non-profit organization of teachers, administrators, parents, and professionals interested in promoting gifted education on a national level.
- National Research Center on the Gifted and Talented (NRCGT) - The NRCGT promotes and publishes research on gifted education related to current and emerging issues in education of gifted and talented students, including GATE students from diverse cultural, linguistic, and socioeconomic groups.
- Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG) - Fosters education and research to support the unique social and emotional needs of gifted individuals.
- http://www.worldgifted.org - A worldwide network of educators, scholars, researchers, parents, educational institutions, and others interested in research and information on the gifted.
Books for Kids
- Barrett, S. (1992). It's all in your head. Minneapolis, :MN : Free Spirit.
- Galbraith, J. (1998) The gifted kids survival guide: For ages 10 and under. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit.
- Galbraith, J., & Delisle, J. (1996). The gifted kids survival guide: A teen handbook. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit.
- Packer, A. J. (1992). Bringing up parents: The teenager's handbook. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit.
Listservs, Message Boards & E-mail Conference Archives
Curriculum, Schools, & Online Courses Particularly Appropriate for Gifted Homeschoolers
- Education Program for Gifted Youth (EPGY), at Stanford University. Online distance learning courses, kindergarten through college level, for gifted students.
- Center for Distance Education (CDE), at John Hopkins University. Partner to Stanford. http://cty.jhu.edu/cde/
- Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Advanced Placement Courses Online http://www.pahomeschoolers.com/courses/
- College of William and Mary Center for Gifted Education Curriculum, designed for gifted students in conventional schools but adaptable to homeschool settings http://cfge.wm.edu/
- Westbridge Academy, a satellite school for gifted homeschooled students http://www.westbridgeacademy.com/
- Castle Heights Press, science and engineering curriculum for gifted homeschooled students http://www.castleheightspress.com/main.sc
- Five in a Row, unit study literature-based curriculum for young children
- The Teaching Company, offering “Great Courses” taught by great professors. www.teach12.com, tel. 1-800-TEACH-12
- Bright Ideas for the Gifted and Talented www.awpeller.com tel. 1-800-451-7450
- Dandy Lion Publications www.dandylionbooks.com tel. 1-805-543-3332
- Critical Thinking Press http://www.criticalthinking.com/index.jsp - publisher of critical thinking roducts for home and classroom use in mathematics, science, language arts, and history
- Mindware - Learning products and services that stimulate and entertain for use in the classroom or at home.
Hewlett-Packard Telementor Program
- John Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth
http://www.jhu.edu/~gifted/ - The program identifies top academic students in grades two through eight and opportunities for participation in challenging educational programs through their tenth grade year.
Distance Learning Options for High Schoolers